The group were originally YouTube celebrities, posting videos of themselves covering songs from various artists during 2011 and early 2012. They rose to international fame while touring with One Direction on the Take Me Home Tour.
The group have been referred to as a boy band in the media, though the members reject this description. In early 2014, the band released "She Looks So Perfect" worldwide as its debut single, which topped the charts in Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and the United Kingdom. The self-titled debut studio album was released in June 2014, which peaked #1 in 11 countries, and followed by a live album titled LiveSOS. The band released their second album Sounds Good Feels Good in 2015.
Relation with Little Mix
- During an interview, 5 Seconds of Summer stated that they "stalk" Little Mix on Instagram.
- Ashton Iriwn said, he thinks they're funny and that you should follow them. He also said that he thinks Perrie's the funniest.
- Little Mix also made a guest appearance in one of their other interviews.
- During the Capital Summertime Ball, a host told Little Mix that Luke would like to come to their wardrobe. Perrie said he's "not invited, none of them are" while the others seemed to be okay with it.
- Ashton also says, that one of his celebrity crushes is Jade Thirlwall.